You are here:

Home Latest News Weekend Hockey - Roundup

Weekend Hockey - Roundup

The first of the Kirk Cup semi-finals takes place on Tuesday night when Civil Service face Mossley at Shaw's Bridge (8.15pm) with the winners due to meet either Instonians or Kilkeel who are in action 24 hours later at the Glade. 

Mossley coach Ricky Lee is expecting two close matches and his team look to be in better shape than Service, whose form has been indifferent since they reached the Kirk semi. 

"Everyone in the squad is thoroughly looking forward to the game although keeping everyone fit for it is another matter as the group has been hit with injuries in recent weeks, so we face a race against time to have everyone back for not only the Kirk Cup but also the Irish Senior Cup the following Saturday." said Lee.

"Every cloud has its silver lining however and young players like Harry Dow, Stephen Hamill and Ryan Lyall have certainly not disappointed when called upon, in fact Dow picked up a hat-trick in the 4-1 win on the road to Raphoe last week, and I’m sure they will relish any opportunity they get in the semifinal."

"All four sides in the semi-finals have had a decent start to the season and it will certainly be a close call on who the two protagonists in the final will be. I wouldn’t be surprised if both games went to the wire and penalty shuttles called upon to separate the sides after full time."

Lee's opposite number Ricky Shiels will be hoping Service put their recent league form behind them when they square up to Mossley. That said, prolific scorer Chris Barnes has been in good nick throughout both campaigns ans is capable of winning a match on his own.

"We head into Tuesday night's semi-final in pretty poor league form and we have failed to replicate our Kirk cup form in the league so far this season. But we are in optimistic mood, with Chris Barnes on the scoresheet again on Saturday and an almost full squad to select from." 

If Saturday's corresponding league game is anything to go by, the second Kirk semi between Inst and Kilkeel should be a close contest. Instonians missed out on the chance to join Bangor at the top of the table on Saturday when they were held to a 1-1 draw by the Co Down side.

However, it could have been zero points instead of one as it took a last-gasp equaliser from Stuart McWilliams to earn Inst a share of the spoils. The final whistle had actually been blown moments before a penalty-corner was taken but, as the rules dictate, play was allowed to proceed.

Kilkeel protested that the corner should not have been awarded in the first place as a lofted clearance was penalised for dangerous play. But their claims went unheeded and, after Sam Morris had saved William Robinson's initial attempt, McWilliams hammered home the rebound.

Although they left it late, Instonians probably deserved a point on the basis of what had preceded during the 70 minutes. After a relatively dull and chance-less opening 25 minutes, the game sprung to life in the dying embers of the first-half.

David Finlay's clever pass found Luke Russell and his deflected effort crashed off the crossbar but, in the 31st minute Kilkeel took the lead. Eddie Agnew's close-range effort beat home goalkeeper Sam Brown and the Co Down side went into the break a goal to the good.

In the second-half, Instonians were more dominant with Gavin Leckey a constant threat and he brought the best out of Morris early on and then saw his shot hit the upright with 14 minutes left. After David Rae had gone close at the other end, Morris saved a Robinson drag flick with two minutes remaining before he was eventually beaten with that stoppage-time effort from McWilliams.

In the other games there were wins for Belfast Harlequins, Mossley, South Antrim and Queen's while the match between Cliftonville and Raphoe ended 1-1. Ballymoney made it six wins out of six as they displaced Dungannon at the top of the women's Ulster Premier League with a 3-1 victory over Rainey at the Joey Dunlop Centre.

The Co Antrim side put the game virtually beyond Rainey's reach in the first-half as they built up a 3-0 lead. Charlotte Stacey scored twice and Olivia Mullan - sister of Ireland captain Katie - continued her impressive form with a third. Betty Scott his a consolation goal for newly-promoted Rainey near the end but it was too little, too late for the Magherafelt side.

Champions Lurgan were held to a scoreless draw by Dungannon in a tight contest at the Co Armagh venue where home defender Phoebe Preston sustained a nasty facial injury which required stitches after she was struck by the ball.

Lurgan coach Robbie McMinn declared: "Hopefully it's not too serious and she won't be out for too long although I guess it will be a few weeks."

"Both teams had their chances and it was a close game that could have gone either way so we're not too disappointed with the result. Dungannon are a decent side and they defend well but they are also dangerous on the counter-attack."

Queen's weathered a second-half storm to defeat Mossley 2-0 at the Glade after Jessica McMaster and Robyn McKee had scored before the break. Ulster Elks secured their first win of the season as they condemned Portadown to a sixth successive defeat with a 3-1 victory at Jordanstown.

Chloe Mitchell and Hannah Irwin scored in the first quarter to put the Elks in the driving-seat. The hosts were reduced to nine players mid way through the second-half and the struggling Ports took advantage when Leanne Cassels pulled a goal back in the 55th minute. However, Emma Quinn scored the insurance goal five minutes later when her team was back to full-strength. 

In Senior One, Armagh pulled off a surprise 2-1 win over Priorians with Yasmin Morrow getting both the goals for Ian Hughes' side. Lisnagarvey will meet Ballymena in the Senior Cup final after identical 2-1 victories over Victorians and Raphoe respectively at Stormont on Sunday.



Banbridge 2 (D Ward, Barlow) Glenanne 3 (S Boucher 2, S O'Donoghue)
Railway 0 Lisnagarvey 2 ( Nelson, J Corry)
Cookstown 1 (S Smyth) Three Rock 4 (M Darling 2, C Empey, B McCrea)
Monkstown 0 Annadale 2 (D Tremlett, R Carr)
Cork C of I 2 (J Jermyn 2) Pembroke 2 (A Sothern, H Spain)

Ulster Premier:

Instonians 1 (S McWilliams) Kilkeel 1 (E Agnew)
Cliftonville 1 (T McKane) Raphoe 1 (T Orr)
Antrim 2 (A Mullan, D Wilson) Harlequins 4 (M Gray 2, M McKenna 2)
Queen's 2 (R Kelly 2) North Down 1 (G McKeown)
Mossley 2 (J Robinson, T Moreland) Newry 0
Civil Service 1 (C Barnes) South Antrim 2 (P Maguire, R Brown)



Ards 0 Loreto 1 (J McGirr)
Belfast Harlequins 1 (J Watt) Trinity 1 (A Long)
Monkstown 0 Pegasus 3 (H Grieve 2, K McKee)
Railway Union 0 UCD 1 (L Tice)

Senior Cup Semi-Finals:

Lisnagarvey 2 (R Houston, B Walker) Victorians 1 (R Hewitt)
Ballymena 2 (R Reynolds 2)  Raphoe 1 (S Barnett)


Pembroke Wanderers 0 Cork Harlequins 3

Ulster Premier League:

Ballymoney 3 (C Stacey 2, O Mullan) Rainey 1 (B Scott)
Lurgan 0 Dungannon 0
Mossley 0 Queen's 2 (J McMaster, R McKee)
Randalstown 1 (K Coulter) Banbridge 0

Senior One:
Armagh 2 (Y Morrow 2) Priorians 1 (S Black)

Ulster Hockey UnionPhone: 02890 701417Email:
Copyright © 2012 Ulster Hockey.  Photos courtesy of Rowland WhiteDeveloped by ecom