You are here:

Main Menu News & Events Schools Hockey - Preview

Schools Hockey - Preview

John Minnis Estate Agents Burney Cup holders Sullivan Upper  progressed to the quarter-finals with a 3-1 home win over neighbours Bangor Grammar on Saturday.

Sullivan captain Fergus Gibson broke the deadlock in the 15th minute with a drag flick at a penalty-corner but Bangor levelled shortly before the break. Matthew Sanchez got on the end of a well-worked set-piece variation when he touched the ball home at the back post.

However, it wasn't long before Sullivan regained their lead as Paddy Crookshanks fired home a penalty-corner switch to make it 2-1. With 15 minutes left, Fergus Kerr got the insurance goal when he squeezed in a rebound at the back post after Matthew Morris's shot had been saved.

Wallace won the big game in Lisburn as last year's beaten finalists overcame Banbridge Academy 4-2.

Paddy Hunter put Wallace ahead but Joel Reid equalised shortly before half-time with a second-phase set-piece. The hosts then added three further goals after the interval with Troy Chambers getting two on either side of Adam Clarke's strike.

Edward Rowe pulled one back near the end with a drag flicked penalty-corner but it was too little, too late while Regent House beat Grosvenor 3-2 after extra time in the other tie.

In the Belfast Telegraph girls' Senior Cup, Rainey pulled off a dramatic penalty shoot-out win over Ballyclare High winning it 3-1 after a late equaliser from the Magherafelt side forced a 3-3 draw. 

The match started off very fast from both teams but it was Rainey who scored first after 15 minutes when, after a brilliant individual run from Ellie Montgomery, she crashed home from the top of circle. 

In the second half Ballyclare scored from a Molly Dougan penalty-corner to make it 1-1. Rainey continued to apply pressure and it was then Alex Burns' turn to convert a corner to put her team back in the lead at 2-1. The game continued at a fierce pace with Ballyclare then converting another corner through Rebecca McCullough to draw level once more at 2-2. 

With not long left, both teams gave it everything and with just three minutes to go Ballyclare attacked quickly down the right for Lauren McKee to score from play. But Rainey did not give up and they took off their keeper and played with an extra outfielder which won them a corner with only seconds left. 

Rainey held their nerve and Alex Burns once again crashed the ball home to secure the 3-3 draw. There was no further scoring in extra time and Rainey keeper Erin Mulholland then made four fantastic saves in the shoot-out. Ellie Montgomery, Betty Scott and Erin Anderson converted their strokes to seal a 3-1 victory for Rainey.

Sullivan meanwhile kept on course for both schools' hockey trophies when their girls defeated BRA 2-1. After a tight first-half, Sullivan shaded the second and Erin Camlin set up Mary Smart for the opener eight minutes in.

However, three minutes later BRA equalised after a swift counter attack but Sullivan grabbed a last gasp winner when Laura McCaw scored from a penalty-corner with the last play of the game. 

In Saturday's other quarter-final, Friends beat local rivals Wallace High 2-1 after having to come from a goal down. Rachel Houston's goal put Wallace ahead before Friends' captain Rachel Barnes equalised and Olivia Reid hit the winner.

The remaining tie sees Royal School Armagh face holders Banbridge Academy this weekend.

John Minnis Estate Agents Burney Cup
Quarter-final draw (Ties to be played on or before Feb 24):

Regent House v Wallace HS
Friends' v Cookstown HS
Methody v RBAI
Sullivan v Campbell

Ulster Hockey UnionPhone: 02890 701417Email:
Copyright © 2012 Ulster Hockey.  Photos courtesy of Rowland WhiteDeveloped by ecom